Email Marketing 101
Email marketing gives you direct access to your most engaged customers. It’s a personal connection that helps to build your brand and drive sales.
Email marketing gives you direct access to your most engaged customers. It’s a personal connection that helps to build your brand and drive sales. I’ve written more about why email is so important here.
Here’s my email marketing 101 to help you get started or to up your email game:
- Grow your email list by asking for addresses and permission at different points. This could be a sign-up form on your website (within your pages and/or as a pop-up), through a competition or giveaway or at point of sale in-store or a tick box at checkout.
- Have a place to store email addresses, create emails, and manage your campaigns. Squarespace and Shopify both have email marketing systems in-built or you could use a service like Mailchimp. Google Drive is another option to store your email list.
- When creating your email remember it should be an extension of your brand and consistent with your website and social media.
- Have a clear call to action. That could be to sign-up to an event, purchase a special offer, use a discount code, or to watch or read content on your website.
- Make sure your email is responsive so it can be easily read on mobile or desktop.
- Get in the habit of asking someone to proofread your email before you send it and send a test email to yourself before you hit ‘send’.
- Make sure all of your links work.
- Be consistent with how often you send emails.
- Review and optimise your emails. Measure your unsubscribes and open rate (that info will be available on the system you choose). You can also get fancy and do A/B tests where you send two different emails to a split group of your list and message which version performed the best.
Just like growing your social media presence, email marketing success rarely happens overnight but the sooner you start, the sooner you’ll see results.
'In Good Company...' Podcast
Shout and Co, run by Pippa and Bevan Lynch, has just launched a podcast called ‘In Good Company…’ and it’s definitely worth your time.
Leave your email below to subscribe
You'll receive no more than 1 email with LOTS of helpful info a month.